Monday, August 13, 2012

Long weekend runs and disappointing day at work

So this weekend I ran the farthest I've ever run before at one time: 14 miles! Then the next day I ran 8. I don't know how me and Alicia did it. Granted the speed wasn't up to par with what either of us wanted, but I was just so excited to do those runs. Normally after a half marathon I don't run for several days afterwards and here we were out on the trail running another 8 miles the very next day. I was pretty happy with that. Today I ran 3 miles at my hardest which ended up being a 10 min something pace which I was happy with but concerned at how worn down it made me feel. No way could I maintain that pace for a full half marathon or even a half of a half marathon at this point. Then I did an extremely slow cool down for a half mile afterwards.
(here we are just about at mile 13 with sweat pouring down our faces. I look super pale but I actually got sunburned on my neck and face this run)


Today was a rough day because I was just dealing with a lot of difficult situations without much thanks at work. I was verbally abused by a patient and her family and it was really rough the things that were said. It's tough because I know the patient is frustrated and the family handles things with anger and not logic, but it's not like the patient will be gone in a few days. She is going to be in the hospital a while and I'm not looking forward to going in and talking to her again multiple more times. It just made me feel pretty inept. To make myself feel better I had bought a 3 lb bag of laffy taffy to use in rounds to give out to my nurses but I just opened up the bag and carried it around to everyone on the floor and offered them some. I think everyone was having a bit of a rough day so it was nice to see people's smiles and then I actually left on time. I didn't get all the orders done but was in a spot where it would definitely set me way over to start something new. I just wish it had been on a day that Alicia was actually home when I got home. It never seems to work that way and I'm sick of being a disappointment to her. Anyways.

Inspirational quote:
“The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

~ Nelson Mandela

No comments:

Post a Comment